Wattpad

Monday, May 29, 2006

The Homepage Update That Almost Never Happened

I am A.R.Yngve's justified anger.

Recently I bought a new laptop PC. My trusty-but-old Toshiba still worked. I needed something with more juice, though.

So I went to the big Scandinavian retailer ELKJØP, and bought a Fujitsu-Siemens -- with an extra memory chip installed by the retailer. It cost me less than two thousand dollars, and I thought I'd made a bargain.

But lo and behold, my spiffy new laptop PC crashed EVERY DAY -- in fact, much more than my old Toshiba ever did -- very often while I was writing. I delivered the Fujitsu-Siemens back to ELKJØP, and the repair guy said he'd look at it. No result, though.

I really needed to use the machine, so I took it back. It just kept crashing. It's a terrible feeling, fearing that your last few hours of work might vaporize at any moment.

Luckily I know people who know computers, so they helped me run a hardware check on the new laptop.

Turned out the hardware was severely defective: it had to be replaced. Now, I was hoping this should be a quick and easy process. I even brought a photograph of the hardware-error report to the shop. Surely the error lay in the "booster" chip that the personnel at ELKJØP had installed in my new Fujitsu-Siemens?

Well... the day after I had delivered the faulty laptop to the repair guy, I went back to ELKJØP. The repair guy had left early. The girl at the counter said the man had to contact Fujitsu-Siemens for help, and my laptop might take longer to fix than expected.

I immediately thought: That sounds like a "cover-your-ass" move.

Guess what was on that PC? All my novels, finished and in progress.

Am I pissed off? Is the Pope Catholic? If I hadn't already stored a backup of all those manuscripts, I might have gone postal and sued ELKJØP.

But -- what stroke of luck! -- I hadn't sold my trusty old Toshiba yet.

So I dug it out, and continued to write. And I updated my homepage, with a new chapter of ALIEN LAND (the sequel to ALIEN BEACH) and a new chapter of novel-in-progress THE TALE OF THE SOLDIESSE.

I'm now waiting for my crashes-every-day Fujitsu-Siemens laptop PC to return, hopefully with the manuscript files intact. And I will never, ever buy anything from ELKJØP again.

I am A.R.Yngve's smirking revenge.

4 comments:

Marguerite said...

:)

Good luck!

Wes said...

Be careful with those homepage updates

www.wesleydjones.com

blogspot.illmaticwes.com

sex scenes at starbucks said...

new computers often suck out of the gate. I think they require a breaking in period, rather like a new car. don't drive over 50 for the first 300 miles or some such.

A.R.Yngve said...

I realize that...now.
:)